September is Happy Cat Month, an awareness holiday from the Catalyst Council. They are a wonderful resource about cats. When I think of what makes a cat happy, I know it’s not about social media media cuteness like our graphic. Despite millions of adorable cat videos, we don’t always know what really makes cats happy. Cats are anthropomorphized, dressed in cute costumes for Instagram worthy posts. They are kept mostly indoors, cut off from the natural world and their instinctive nature. Cats, like all pets are reliant 100% on whatever care their owners provide. Well-meaning and even loving owners can make some very poor choices. Cats are increasingly popular family members but our fur babies still have no legal rights (except in more progressive countries like Sweden
- If we truly want our cats to be happy, let’s treat them with respect for the species that they are. They aren’t accessories, a furry mini-me, a surrogate child or the means to insta-fame.
- That means learning about what makes them tick. There are excellent books like Cat Sense: Science Reveals Feline Secrets (Read our interview with the author).
- Many cats thrive with training and most cats could use more inter-active playtime. Cats do get lonely and appreciate time spent with them even if they aren’t lap cats.
- Learn to recognize early signs of illness with a quick exam. Did you know a purring cat is not always a happy cat? Purring can be self-soothing to ease pain.Learn how to examine a cat’s skin, fur, eyes,ears and mouth
- Treats make cats happy and we feel good treating them, but staying healthy is better. Don’t wait until your cat is ill and suffering to visit the vet. A clean bill of health from a wellness visit will make both of you happy.
- Needless to say, a spayed/neutered cat is happier and healthier. Happy cat = happy human.
Thankfully there is a growing awareness for creating environmental enrichment, dietary data, behavioral advice and products that enhance a cat’s life.
Since 2011, it’s been our mandate to provide a wide scope of cat care and stay as curious as a cat. We love cuteness too but it comes with caveats like safety first.
To celebrate Happy Cat Month, we’re sharing a few of our most meaningful posts with cat happiness front and center. Your cat deserves it 🙂
One of our top 10 posts (out of 2000+) is Nine Cat Behavior Lessons updated and revised. Enjoy!