9 Purrfect Kindness To Animals Quotes Illustrated Be Kind To Animals Week continues from yesterday’s Love Kindness post
When things go wrong and we’re pushed to the brink, the smaller, weaker ones suffer first. It’s a trickle down effect familiar to victims of spousal, elder, child or animal abuse. The same trickle down effect can ripple out in a positive way with acts of kindness and compassion. It’s why I believe the best way to help animals but especially pets is by teaching children responsible pet ownership. It’s wonderful to see kids volunteering at pet adoption events and learning about cat care. Not all kids have nurturing parents to help grow compassion but we all can play a part. You never how small act of thoughtfulness may have saved a life. It means speaking up and intervening if a child is being mean to any creature. Excellent resource on teaching kids empathy and compassion.
It’s why no matter what is going on, try to show kindness toward the animals. I get it. Some days are hard. On those days, I could use a boost of inspiration. These are my favorite nine quotes about kindness to animals. Which one is your favorite?
Odin reminds me of the duality of nature. Earlier, he’d smugly pranced around after killing a mouse. Then sleeping like an angel and probably dreaming of more hunting. I’m not crazy about it but cats are hard-wired to hunt and kill so I accept and always treat him with kindness. Humans have evolved from caveman killers and no longer need to hunt. We have the choice to be kind or cruel. To be thoughtful or thoughtless in everything we do. I’ve selected a few favorite vintage kindness quotes from our archive. Share and enjoy!
1. “ If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. I hope to make people realize how totally helpless animals are, how dependent on us, trusting as a child must that we will be kind and take care of their needs …[they] are an obligation put on us, a responsibility we have no right to neglect, nor to violate by cruelty.”
2. “Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.”
~ Albert Einstein
3. “The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity.”
~George Bernard Shaw
4. “We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace.”
~ Albert Schweitzer
5. “The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
6. “We patronize the animals for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they are more finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other Nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”
7. “Animals are the bridge between us and the beauty of all that is natural. They show us what’s missing in our lives, and how to love ourselves more completely and unconditionally. They connect us back to who we are, and to the purpose of why we’re here.”
8. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”
~ Dalai Lama
9. “ No act of kindness to cats, no what how small, is big-hearted and cat lovers have the biggest hearts.”
~Layla Morgan Wilde