April Folklore, Feline Holidays/Events for Cat Lovers
April Folklore, Feline Holidays/Events for Cat Lovers by Layla Morgan Wilde
I’ve been having fun making video collages with the Shuffles App from Pinterest!
Every year the feline holidays list gets longer and this year is no exception. As always, I like to add anything cat lovers might enjoy for social media photo ops with their cats. There is something almost every day of the month and some days have several events.
This year I’m adding some fun facts and folklore about the month of April, but let’s start with a few famous quotes.
- “April is a promise that May is bound to keep.” – Hal Borland
- “April prepares her green traffic light and the world thinks Go.” – Christopher Morley
- “April comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
- “April is the kindest month. April gets you out of your head and out working in the garden.” – Marty Rubin
- “April showers bring May flowers.” – Unknown
- “The April winds are magical and bring the scent of fresh beginnings.” – Unknown
- “April is the month of blooming and blossoming, a time to enjoy the beauty of nature.” – Unknown
- “April is a month of sudden and delightful changes.” – Unknown
- “April is the month when the trees start to bud, the flowers start to bloom, and hope springs eternal.” – Unknown
And because April is National Poetry Month I had to include a snippet of my favorite poem about April.
“April is the cruelest month, breeding
lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
dull roots with spring rain.”
― The Waste Land
The month of April is named after the Greek goddess Aphrodite, who was the goddess of love and beauty. The name is rooted in the Latin Aprilis, which is derived from the Latin aperire meaning “to open”—which could be a reference to the opening or blossoming of flowers and trees in springtime.
- April has been traditionally associated with fertility and renewal, as it marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere.
- In many cultures, April is seen as a month of transformation and new beginnings. For example, in Japan, April marks the beginning of the fiscal year and the start of the school year.
- In Celtic folklore, the month of April was associated with the goddess Eostre, who was the goddess of spring and rebirth. This is where the name “Easter” comes from.
- In some parts of the world, April is considered to be an unlucky month. For example, in Italy, April is known as “Il mese di dolore” (the month of pain) and is traditionally associated with bad luck and misfortune.
- April 1st is celebrated as April Fools’ Day in many parts of the world. The origins of this tradition are unclear, but it is believed to have started in France in the 16th century.
- In many parts of Europe, April was traditionally a month of fasting and abstinence. This was seen as a way to cleanse the body and prepare for the warmer months ahead.
- In some parts of the United States, April is known as “Tornado Month” because it is the peak season for tornadoes in the Midwest.
- According to English folklore, it is unlucky to marry in April. The saying goes, “Marry in April, if you can, joy for maiden and for man; but marry in the month of May, and you’ll surely rue the day.”
- In Hindu mythology, the festival of Vishu is celebrated in the month of April. This festival marks the beginning of the astrological new year and is associated with prosperity and good fortune.
APRIL FELINE HOLIDAYS & EVENTS FOR CAT LOVERS
Month & Week-Long events in April
Heartworm Awareness Month
National Pet First Aid
April 17-23: National Pet ID Week (observed annually for 7 days beginning on April 17th)
April 17-23: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week (observed the third week in April) Formerly Be Kind To Animals Week (then and now)
April 1: April Fool’s Day or Poisson D’Avril
Every year I love to do some fun fooling because cats seem to love it too.
April 5: Full Moon in Libra. If you’re into astrology, this pink moon is significant. The link is a YouTube video from a favorite astrologer.
Passover begins at sunset. Odin is somewhat observant.
April 6: National Siamese Cat Day.
A fairly new holiday started in 2014. My beloved OTRB meezers Coco and Merlin are still celebrated.
April 9: Easter Sunday. Always a new Easter post every year.
April 11: National Pet Day
April 13: Passover ends
April 17: Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day &
National Haiku Poetry Day. Many cat lovers like writing kitty haiku. Here is one of mine. Perhaps I’ll post some more on that day.
Purring ball of fur,
Graceful hunter of the night,
Cat, a quiet friend
April 18: Pet Owners Independence Day (a new holiday which advocates taking a day off. I think most cats would approve.)
April 19: National Cat Lady Day. I’d like to expand it to Cat Mom Day. I’ll probably do a fun post this year.
April 20: New Moon in Taurus Aries season ends and hello, Sun in Taurus season. Find out what it means for you
April 21: Mercury Retrograde begins. Yes, again and it’s not all bad.
April 22: Earth Day. Always a favorite around here.
April 26 Kids and Pets Day. A new holiday and worth instilling pet love and responsibility for children.
April 27: Free Feral Cat Spay Day
April 28: Hairball Awareness Day (observed the last Friday in April) & Arbor Day
April 29: World Veterinary Day (observed the last Saturday in April)
April 30: Adopt a Shelter Pet Day
April 30: National Pet Parents Day (observed the last Sunday in April) a new holiday.
April 30: National Therapy Animal Day
April 30: National Tabby Day
Do you have a favorite holiday? Is there a April Feline Holidays/Events for Cat Lovers thing I missed?with bonus fun facts, quotes and folklore about the month of April.Did March go out like a lion or a lamb where you live?
I hope April is a good month for you!
xo, Layla and Odin
Cat and Dog Chat With Caren
Thanks sooo much for sharing all of these days with us!! I had lost my blogging calendar from last year (where I had all of these written down). I don’t think that Kids and Pets one is new. I remember it being around (I could be wrong though)
Caren, thanks. Yeah, it’s pretty new but it’s hard to keep track 😹
Erin the Cat
So much superstition, as well as fun to be had. I am not sure we need all these days, as every day with a cat or companion is a chance for fun and celebration.
Agreed, it’s gotten out of hand.
Ellen J Pilch
April is a busy month. 🙂 XO
Skeeter and Izzy
So many cool kitty related days in April…who knew
Thank you for the fun post and cool pics!
Skeeter and Izzy and the Feral Gang and the Angels
It’s crazy isn’t it? But it’s more the merrier for cat lovers 😹
Memories of Eric and Flynn
March came in like a lion and is still roaring!
Same here but turning mild soon 😹
Wonderful information…thanks. Helping me heal from the loss of two within a year..thromboembolism in 15 yr. old and lymphoma for 4 years in a Harvey flood survivor from 2017 in Houston, unknown age,rescued from flooded property. Thanks, Layla
Elaine, it’s been a tough time for you and I hope these rays of sunshine lift you up 🌞💓🐈⬛
Wow, that sure is a lot of special days! And a lot of research to find them all.
I know, it’s more every year😹
I love all the images and the information! Happy April!
Happy and Healthy April to you and Astor kitty 💜