2013 was a stellar year of the cat in fiction and nonfiction. We read over a hundred cat books and reviewed dozens. We selected 20 cat books for our suggested holiday gift guide (scrolling below) but only 10 books receive our Golden Purr Award for excellence in a cat writing. We read dozens of purr-worthy books this year but these made us purr just a little bit louder.
The 2013 Cat Wisdom101 Golden Purr Awards recipients are (in alphabetical order) :
1) Another Insane Devotion: On The Love of Cats and Persons by Peter Trachtenberg (Memoir)
2) Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You a Better Friend To Your Pet by John Bradshaw (Nonfiction)
3) Faithful Friends: Holocaust Stories of the Pets Who Gave Them Comfort, Suffered Alongside Them, and Waited For Their Return by Susan Bulanda (Nonfiction stories)
4) Henri, Le Chat Noir: The Existential Musings of an Angst-Filled Cat by William Braden (Fiction)
5) Lil BUB’s Lil Book: The Extraordinary Life of the Most Amazing Cat on the Planet by Lil BUB and Mike Bridavsky (Humor)
6) Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation and GPS Technology by Caroline Paul (Memoir)
7) The Cat Whisperer: Why Cats Do What They Do– And How To Get Them To Do What You Want by Mieshelle Nagelschneider (Nonfiction)
8) The Dalai Lamas’s Cat and the Art of Purring by David Michie (Fiction)’
9) The Elegance of the Cat: An Illustrated History by Tamsin Pickeral (Nonfiction)
10) Whiskerlist: The Kitty Classifieds by Angie Bailey (Humor)
Please note: #8, The Art of Purring is a sequel (release date Nov.28, 2013) to The Dalai Lama’s Cat, a favorite of ours and the 2013 CWA Muse Medallion winner for fiction. Author David Michie will has kindly agreed to another exclusive Q & A soon. I’m happy to report the sequel made this reader purr with delight.
We hope you find something to purr about in our selection, as a treat for yourself or as a gift for another cat lover.