This year we’re assigning the top ten Golden Purr winners into ten categories. Every year we read over a hundred cat books. We review as many as possible (with a little help from Merlin, our feline reviewer). From the reviewed books we narrow it down to ten award winners. This year we’re including one book not reviewed yet (coming soon) which won Best Reference or Educational Cat Book. The links to our original reviews are highlighted in the title of the book, include images, author info and/or interviews and a link to purchase.
If you read as much as I do,it’s difficult to remember what I read last month let alone a year ago. Very few books have sticking power but two books I read last year still resonate. Good books stand the test of time and beg to be read again and again without losing their magic. Those two immensely satisfying books are The Guest Cat and Toby Jug.
The 2014 Golden Purr Book Award winners are:
- Reference or Educational Category: The Original Cat Fancy Cat Bible by Sandy Robins et al.
- Fiction: The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide
- Memoir: Toby Jug by Denis O’Connor
- Humor: I Knead My Mommy and Other Poems by Kittens by Francesco Marciuliano
- Photography: Beautiful Cats by Darlene Arden and Nick Mays with photography by Andrew Perris
- Children’s: My Name Is Bob by James Bowen
- Graphic Novel: I Was The Cat by Paul Tobin and illustrated by Benjamin Dewey
- Photo Art: The Best Cat Book Ever by Kate Funk
- Original Art : Copy Cat by David Yow
- Pop Culture: Cat Food For Thought by Warren Dotz and Masud Husain