It’s a special shelter volunteer adventures post today. In honor of the upcoming Black Cat Appreciation Day on August 17, The New Rochelle Humane Society is celebrating for a week offering 50% off adoption fees (or two for one!) from August 16 to August 23 on BLACK CATS or BLACK AND WHITE aka Tuxedo CATS only. If you are in the NYC area or know a cat lover there, check out a few of the black beauties and tuxies online at New Rochelle Humane Society AND yes, there many stunning black and tuxedo cats and kittens not listed yet. Call the lovely staff with any questions 914 632-2925
Beautiful full size images of all the Adoption images will be available to share on Facebook via our Cat Wisdom 101 pages.
The first thing I noticed when I visited NRHS for the first time was an abundance of black and tuxedo cats. Why? Fact: Black cats are statistically the least adopted and the most euthanized.
Silly reasons that make you want to go duh, like:
- Outdated superstitions dating back the dark ages. Hello, it’s 2014!
- Black cats are not as noticeable in a cage or room. Are they not wearing glasses?
- Black cats don’t photograph well. Every photographer and artist will disagree. Look at mine plus #blackcatselfie
- Most shelter pet photos can be improved. Good images improve odds of adoption.
- Read our Don’t Judge A Cat by it’s Color about the University of Berkeley cat color preference study
What I find most crazy making is: in many parts of the world from England, Australia to Japan black cats are considered LUCKY.
WHY ADOPT A BLACK CAT or KITTEN?
Black cats are as adorable, affectionate and sweet as any other color of cat.
Black cats are beautiful and elegant house panthers making a house a home.
Black goes with every decor or outfit. If you wear a lot of black cat hair doesn’t show.
True Love is color blind.
Not convinced? See Marco, a sweet Tuxie in action. We featured Marco back in June and he’s still waiting in his cage for his forever home or even a foster home. Thank-you to shelter volunteer Leslie Howard for this video.